HOW CAN WE HELP?
FELONY PRESCRIPTION MARIJUANA POSSESSION NC
Marijuana and all of the processes involving the manufacture, sale and possession of the substance is regulated by both state and federal law. This means other states may have different laws on marijuana a Raleigh criminal attorney can help you in that case.
In North Carolina, marijuana is a Schedule VI substance. This means it is considered to have a low potential for abuse and addiction.
However, it is still an illegal substance. It is in fact a crime to drive under the influence of marijuana.
Possession of marijuana, or to knowingly or intentionally possess it is a crime. Penalties depend on the amount that is possessed.
- Up to one half of an ounce: $200, 30 days in jail
- One half ounce to one and a half ounces: $500, 120 days in jail. The judge also has the option to order probation or community service in addition to, or in lieu to jail time.
- One and a half ounces or more: $500 or more, up to one year in jail.
It is also illegal to manufacture or sell marijuana in North Carolina. This includes the possession of the substance to do so. The penalties vary according to the amount possessed, manufactured and sold. However, penalties are also applied to the defendant if he or she has conspired with one or more persons to sell the substance, regardless if the act of selling has been done.
- Between 10 and 50 pounds: $500, 25 months of mandatory prison time
- Between 50 and 2,000 pounds: $25,000, 35 months of mandatory prison time
- Between 2,000 to 10,000 pounds: $50,000, and 70 months of mandatory prison time
- Between 10,000 pounds and more: $200,000, minimum prison time of 179 months