Suspect Accused of Multiple Crimes Against Elderly Victims

in Criminal Defense, on

A 55-year-old man has been accused by police of involvement in a series of crimes that targeted elderly residents in the Raleigh area. The first of the robberies and assaults occurred in August 2012; since then, more victims have turned up in Raleigh, Cary and Apex.

The suspect’s criminal history will make his defense more difficult. Several of the crimes he is accused of occurred while he was on probation.

Police arrested the suspect during a traffic stop recently shortly after a robbery had occurred nearby. The victim, a 90-year-old man, reported being robbed at gunpoint on his way home after doing some errands, according to police. The victim told police that the person who robbed him was inside his garage at his home and accosted him when he exited his vehicle. The victim said his assailant followed him into his home and took money from him and his wife. Police added that the victim was told not to call the police when the suspect left.

Authorities claimed that there were 87 prior and pending robbery warrants against the suspect. They said that he has prior convictions for robbery, forgery, attempted rape, larceny and breaking and entering; the suspect was on probation until September 2011.

He now faces 32 charges for kidnapping, robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and assault and sexual battery, as well as breaking and entering. Police are also weighing whether to charge him in connection with two other incidents. His initial bond, set at $1.5 million, was increased to $3 million following a court hearing.

Source: WRAL.com, “String of robberies nets suspect $3 million bond,” Jan. 25, 2013

Our criminal law practice works with suspects like the one discussed in this post. If you would more information about our Raleigh, North Carolina, firm, please visit our website.